Originally constructed in 1888 as the town’s first hardware store, the historic brick building now known as The Brick Hotel has seen many lives over the past 130+ years. Back in its original state, the Schuyler building stood proud with its brick exterior and large over-sized ceilings. Over most of its life, the building continued to retain its prowess. Slight changes did occur, like being converted to a 3 story building by reducing the ceilings, and various businesses such as a cash grocery store that occupied the building in the 1930s also added their own touch. It wasn’t until later that the building took on a drastically different appearance when its beautiful old brick exterior was covered in stucco making this gem all but disappear from the public’s eye.
Over 60 years had passed with this historical building hidden away and unnoticed until the building was purchased with the plan to restore the original character and give it a second life as a boutique hotel, one of its many prior uses over the years. In 2017, a five-year adaptive reuse (and earthquake retrofit) restoration project began to update the old masonry building with all modern amenities and finishes, while maintaining the original brick facade and historical integrity of the building. In 2022, the building opened its doors to guests once again as The Brick Hotel. Historic touches can be found in each room, from the 1880s era bricks lining the walls, to the wood luggage rack in the closet made from the original lumber that dates back over a century.
The Brick Hotel was the town’s first hardware store and the first cash grocer.
Photo of the Oceanside Pier circa 1904. The Brick is located on Pier View Way (4 blocks east of the pier) and predates this photo by 16 years!
Photo shows the original brick covered by stucco, a popular look at the time.
An original advertisement from The Brick’s past life as a cash grocer can still be found on the southeast corner of the building